Thursday 5 May 2011

Telerik Test Studio – My Quick Evaluation (Recording)

Recording Demo of the new Test Studio Version 1011.1.502.0 product offered from Telerik.

Test Recording

Setting up a new project is easy; I’m given a choice of two test types, Web Test and WPF Test, for my first demo I select Web Test.

Hitting record in the Test Studio window opens a new IE window. I’m presented with a toolbar containing recording options attached to the browser 


For my first recorded step I navigate to Google.ca, a new step is added to the Steps window in Test Studio where properties for this step can be edited. I also have the option of customizing this step in code (C#)

Choosing this options open a code editor window:

I’d definitely prefer using Visual Studio for editing code; I am able to also open the tests from Visual Studio so I don’t think configuring VS as my editor will be a problem.

Features!

One really slick feature is the hover feature, hovering over an element brings up a window with various options, including mouse actions, JavaScript events, drag and drop, validation. This is probably my favorite feature so far. 

I add image validation to the Google “I’m Feeling Lucky” button hit ok and verifying the image is dropped in my list of steps.



 For my next step I search Google for “Best Automation Testing Software” and verify the first search result returned.

I notice that the step editor has added a couple of unnecessary steps during entering text, step 3 and 4 below. I’ll have to manually delete these steps.


Text verification is easy and I’m offered a variety of options to choose from, I’ll just text the text contains what I’m looking for:



We’ll hit save and wrap this test up. For simplicity of recording I definitely give Test Studio the edge over any other tools I’ve used, having quick access to the recording menus (assertions, actions, etc.) and having the ability to playback a test during the recording process is a big productivity booster.

Features I like:

-    Element highlighting while recording
-     The variety of options available from the hover over highlighting menu (quick assertions)
-    Test playback ability during the recording process!
-    The step editor window

What could be improved?

-    The code editor, I’d prefer to use VS. This may just mean figuring out how to edit code in VS
-    Adding junk actions to the step editor, however these unnecessary steps were easy to remove.

Summary: Telerik offers a good tool with some really cool features aimed at the novice tester, easy to use and learn. I could see dropping this tool into someones hands with no coding experience and having them with a suite of tests by the end of the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment